Sunday, June 13, 2010

World Cup fever


World Cup fever has overtaken Seoul! Everywhere you go, stores are selling "Red Devils" T-shirts and restaurants have rented extra TVs to show the games.

Saturday night we went out with some friends to a Korean BBQ place to watch the Korea-Greece game. We wore our red shirts: I just had one from Gap, but Mike had a more authentic-looking jersey he had bought on a previous trip to Korea.

The table next to us was filled with die-hard fans, and it wasn't long until we were all jumping up and chanting "Dae-han-min-guk (South Korea)!" By the end of the game, our fellow fans were even passing us their baby to look after while they had a final toast.

3 comments:

  1. yeah, one of the most amazing things I've ever seen is 3000 South Koreans amassed in front of a huge TV watching the World Cup...

    ...outside the Paris City Hall! Who knew there were that many South Koreans in Paris!?

    In any case, I hope you both know where your loyalties lie should there be a U.S.-RoK matchup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to call DCFS. That's child neglect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nick: I hope it doesn't come down to US-ROK... at least I can name a few of the ROK players, I have no idea who's playing for the US. Is Mia Hamm on the pitch this year? ;)

    @Homerayk: I've frequently heard complaints from expat mothers here that Korean ajummas pick up their babies without their permission... so I guess this is some sort of cultural reversal.

    ReplyDelete