Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Korea's love affair with baseball


My first "Feature" article was published in the JoongAng Daily today. It's about how crazy Koreans are for the "all-American" sport of baseball. I talked to Korea's star pitcher and he told me soccer is over-- baseball is now Korea's favorite sport.

This was my first big reporting assignment since coming here, and I felt I grew a lot in the process of writing it. I learned how to navigate the language barrier and find people who spoke English for the article (which is a real challenge here at times). And I pushed myself to cover something that is out of my comfort zone (ie, not wars, refugees, or massacres!).

Mike has also been leaving his comfort zone lately with his reporting and production work on TBS eFM. I hope that this laboratory called Korea will keep giving us opportunities to challenge and expand our abilities as journalists.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe the rest of it was, but I'm not sure baseball as a colonial pacifier counts as outside your comfort zone.

    Why didn't the US think of that in Iraq?
    The Fallujah Dodgers has a nice ring to it.

    Great Job,
    Jerome

    ReplyDelete