Sunday, July 12, 2009

Things You Won't Miss in Korea #5

Starbucks. There are a ton of Starbucks here, but independent and/or French-themed coffee shops far out number them. Most of the Starbucks look exactly like the ones at home. This one near City Hall, however, caught my eye. Mimicking the traditional tiled roof on most houses here and prominently labeled "Korea" (no doubt in case you forget where you are), I can't help but think this Starbucks is a tourist trap. Unsurprisingly, several of those skyscrapers you can see behind the Starbucks are large Western hotels.

Now this one is not in the U.S.! Star Beer Coffee is a few blocks away from our apartment and I've been dying to go there ever since I saw it. Unfortunately, as we soon discovered, it's out of business. I wonder if its resemblance to another cafe had anything to do with that.

2 comments:

  1. yay, now I know I can visit you! :p

    also, where are da pics of da apartment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need more convincing, there is a Starbucks literally across the street from us here. Apartment pix will come soon!

    ReplyDelete